Thursday, February 9, 2017

Why

My 2017 Word of the Year is FLOURISH.

Why did I pick that word?

Last year, I got sick. My stomach had frequent issues, I had a terrible time sleeping, my skin was awful, my hair brittle, I had anxiety and all sorts of issues. I was sad and disheartened. I felt like I lost myself. I felt like I was wasting my time and energy (what energy I actually had). I did not feel like I was doing anything of importance. My daughter was having her worst period with epilepsy yet. My husband's work left me alone... a lot. I was so down.



I don't think ANYONE actually understood how "off" I really was.

Since I've struggled with hypothyroidism for the last 7 years, I figured my levels were off again.
And, I made an appointment with a new doctor. 

In the parking lot, before my appointment, I tried to mentally prepare myself with how I would respond when I was inevitably offered meds for depression and anxiety.

I really didn't want to believe that this could all be managed with a pill.
In fact, I didn't want to manage these feelings at all.

I wanted to be fixed. 

The doctor, who I was seeing for the first time, shocked me when she asked what I do for myself.

Um,... what?

She wondered what I was doing to care for myself.

I had no answers.
I was a young mom at a home in a very remote part of the country, alone with the kids most of the time. I spent my life managing our family, making food, cleaning, driving long distances to get anywhere, cleaning, dealing with the Ketogenic diet for my daughter, cleaning up after little people, and doing all the home management things my husband didn't have time for (like dealing with insurance and doctor's appointments and school things and bills and budgeting and laundry, etc, etc, etc).
There really wasn't any time left for me.

Her prescription?
   To make time to do something for me - hire a babysitter if necessary, but do something I enjoy at least once a week. Moderate exercise that is NOT interrupted by the kids. Taking the time to prepare healthy, sustaining meals for myself. Honesty with my husband.

She wanted to see me in a month. If my issues weren't resolved by then, she'd run some tests.



I started being more intentional with my eating, taking my vitamins, and began to be more intentional with the use of my trusty essential oils. I began doing yoga (following a youtuber who doesn't focus on the spiritual weird stuff but more on the health and functionality of your body). I found a DOABLE daily scripture reading plan. I even began Bible journaling and my sweet husband made sure I had time to do it. I found my big girl camera and started putting her back to use.

This year, I want to build on that foundation.

But, not only build,... I want to flourish in the things I choose to do.

To flourish is to grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way, especially as the result of a particularly favorable environment.

I love the idea of growing in a favorable environment.

But that implies that we have to set ourselves up for success.
We have to initiate our own health, habits and growth.
We have to narrow down our priorities to live the life we want.

Follow along as I break down how I'm doing this in my life in blog posts that are yet to come.
-kt


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note to let me know you dropped by!